Sunday, March 13, 2011

Saw A Favorite Today!

Band that is... Somehow convinced Dpad to travel to OKC with me tonight to see He is We, one of my favorite bands. I discovered them first semester my senior year at OBU while in the scene design studio. I was working late late hours trying to finish my scene design homework, playing random music on Purevolume.com (great site by the way, you should check it out, it's a great place to find up and coming musicians). He is We started playing and I fell in love. Sadly, my love for them has only spread to a couple of my dear friends, who are (of course!) now not living in this state to go see the band with me!

Luckily Dpad was willing to go, despite never really listening to the band. I've always had a hard time at concerts listening to the openers, because for one, unless you know the songs, it's somewhat hard to hear what the lyrics actually are, so you basically hope that they're catchy enough to follow along. And for two, you go to concerts to hear the bands you want to hear...and just get stuck listening to the openers. (By the way! Not trying to out down the opening bands. Musicians have to get their start somewhere. I've even discovered some great music because of openers...I'm just saying, their usually not why people go to a show.) Anyways, so yeah, sometimes listening to bands you've never heard of is somewhat...not fun, so I don't even know why Dpad agreed to go, other than to be a good friend. =)

The show was held at The Conservatory in OKC...the place is shady! It's in the middle of this worn down part of town and the sign on the building is so hard to catch from the road...we drove past it twice. It's a really small venue and I was surprised that shows would even happen here. But it worked. The crowd wasn't completely overwhelming the music wasn't horribly loud and what not. I will say that I definitely felt out of place as far as "looks" were concerned. It's a very "hipster" type atmosphere. Guys with beanies, plaid shirts, semi-long hair. Girls with flowery tops, skinny jeans. Everyone with TOMS shoes, ear gauges, and hair cuts I could have given at the age of four...again, not dissing this in any way...it's just a style I'm not really a part of.

Luckily, I wasn't there to be part of the hipster scene, nor did I really care about where the location was...I just wanted to see my band. And they were amazing. As opposed to the other 3 groups that played that night, the crowd seemed to know every song that He is We played. They screamed the loudest for them, and demanded "ONE MORE SONG" at the end of their set. When the band left the stage after an amazing set, the crowd seemed to disappear, either out the door or to the merch table to get autographs and photos with the lead singer and guitarist...and the head liner of the show got a smaller crowd! I was so proud of He is We. The performance was great, the crowd loved it, and Dpad said they were actually pretty good. =) I can't wait to see what the future has in store for them!

Check them out!!! He is We Music.com OR at PureVolume.com =)

No comments:

Post a Comment