Thursday, March 31, 2011

There's a Hole in My Back

That's right, a hole. Quite literally, a hole. Okay, maybe it's not so much a hole anymore, because the doctor stitched it up and what not, but I'm gonna go ahead and say, there's still a hole.

****Warning: I might get a little graphic here, so if you get queesy or woozy about medical stuff, you might not want to read. =) *******

I've led a pretty "lucky" life as far as injuries go. ***Knock on wood!!!*** The most damage I've done is sprain my ankles a countless amount of times thanks to playing basketball from 4th grade until I graduated high school. When I was 16, I got my wisdom teeth taken out, and that had been my only "surgery" until today.

Okay, maybe I'm making this a bit too dramatic. I had a cyst, all right? Just a cyst:

"Cysts are noncancerous, closed pockets of tissue that can be filled with fluid, pus, or other material. Cysts are common on the skin and can appear anywhere. They feel like small peas under the surface of the skin. Cysts can develop as a result of infection, clogging of sebaceous glands (oil glands), or around foreign bodies, such as earrings." - Webmd.com

Luckily, mine was just a clogging of a gland, I guess...right smack dab in the middle of my back. It didn't bother me until it ruptured underneath my skin. That's right...it ruptured. So my dermatologist decided to cut it out! Ah! I went in today and he just cut me right open and...leaked out the pus and fluids and man...this is gross. But you know what, hearing your own skin being cut open by surgical scissors is pretty gross as well. Then, hearing the doctor cauterize the open blood vessels on your back? That's pretty gross too. Also, after it's all said and done, and you're stitched up, ready to go home, and you see a chunk of skin from your OWN back, slightly bloody, laying on the table next to you? Yeah...gross.

So that was my day today. I got some antibiotics, and some pain meds! Hopefully I won't need them too much, but I've never had stitches before, or a wound this size, so I don't really know what I'm in for. So far, it's just been really itchy...with a dull pain, getting a bit worse. Time to pop a lortab and go to bed, I have to work tomorrow. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment