Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Despite Not Being in School Anymore...

After being a part of some form of learning environment from preschool to college for approximately 20 years I finally decided it was time to end my career of academics. I even went back to school after I graduated because my alma mater now offers classes for free for graduates. I've always enjoyed school. The tests and papers were never really that difficult for me, although of course I complained about a heavy workload more than I ever really should have. I liked to think of myself as the student who would go home to mom and dad and say, "Hey, did you know this?..." It's always been fun to learn new things and therefore, make myself a more intelligent and well-rounded person.

After graduating college and going back for an extra semester "just for fun", I decided it was time to stop. There needed to be more focus on getting a career, which would be hard to do if I was in class all semester long. So that was my "big" decision this year. I was somewhat sad because of course one of my first thoughts was "now I don't get to learn anything...anymore...le sigh". Of course that it just ridiculous thinking. And I know that, but could never really understand why until I came across this quote:

"There is no difference between living and learning...it is impossible and misleading and harmful to think of them as being separate." - John Holt, author

Isn't is beautiful?! If you haven't noticed by now, I occasionally enjoy quotes...and then reflecting on them. So this was my quote for today. =) I enjoy the thought of learning, no matter what the classroom, because the classroom is anywhere you make it. I meet new people at my work every day. Many of them share stories or little tidbits of life. Many of the older men that come in have fun little jokes to share. I love hearing the "when I was your age milk cost a nickel" and that sort of thing. Learning can be anywhere and you don't have to learn "book smart" things. I don't necessarily need to learn the exact date of that exact battle that happened in that exact country...but I always can if I want to. I learn more about myself every day in the hardships I've faced and how I've dealt with them. So many of my friends are struggling with so many different obstacles in life, and some others seems as if they are at the highest point they've ever been at and they keep growing in their success. I watch them and I learn more about who they are on the inside, and I learn about who I am as a friend. Whether I learn how encouraging I can be, or how lousy of a friend I can sometimes be as well, I am still learning!

I think it's a beautiful concept. Learning is wherever you are, you just have to open your eyes, no, your mind(!) and see all that's around you. And as if this couldn't be any cheesier, learning can be fun...just learn about the things and the people that you love. =)

1 comment:

  1. Another thing I'd suggest is look around at your friends and family and see if any of them have a skill/hobby that you find interesting. Say, for example, you know someone who loves to sew, but you barely know which end of the needle to thread. Go ask them to help you learn how to sew. You get to pick up a new life skill, spend time with someone you love, and make them feel awesome for a) having someone else interested in it and b) having someone else look up to them for knowing something. It's a win/win situation! :-D

    ReplyDelete