Thursday, February 24, 2011

Best Surprise Weekend Ever

I had been waiting on this past weekend for so long. My dear friend, Disney, has been stuck far far away in her home town and hadn't had the opportunity to see many of her friends for months. Our friend, Red Head and I decided what better way to throw a birthday weekend than throw a surprise party for her?! We'd been planning for about a month. The basic plan was that Disney and I would both drive down to Dallas (where Red Head lives and a great central location) from our home towns and spend the weekend doing girl things and just having a good time. Both Red Head and I have been fortunate to spend time with Disney a couple of times, and we're always thrilled to spend time together. But, we both thought, what if we invite a few more friends down for the weekend but not tell Disney about it?! Surely that would be a great idea...and oh how it was.

Dpad and I drove down Saturday night. When I arrived at Red Head's, I asked Disney to come outside and help me with my bags. She happily agreed, opened my car door, where Dpad joyously yelled, "AHH!!!" Disney responded in kind with another "AH!!!" then burst into the happiest tears I think I've ever seen. Hearing her cry "What?! What are you doing here?! Are you actually here? What?!!" over and over again with such excitement made me even happier about events that were still to come.

Sunday morning we all decided to go shopping at Target to pick up a few things that a few of us had left behind. As we're looking through the store, a gentleman walks up behind Disney and says, "Can I help you with anything?" She jumped, turned around and saw our friend San Antone standing there, to which she jumped again, cried out in happiness and started yet another great cry.

That afternoon we saw Red Head's play and then had a fabulous dinner at a fancy restaurant. As we got there, our friend Mr. Rational walked out from behind a statue, adding even more surprise to the weekend. I can't even explain how wonderful it was to see Disney so happy. Talking to her on the phone for months on end, I knew how down she was at not getting to see some of her friends, so I know how much this weekend meant to her. Seeing her happiness meant everything to me. It's what the entire weekend was about and I believe it was achieved successfully!

So, my challenge to all of you today is to surprise someone. Make someone smile. Send an old friend a "I thought about you today and that funny time when we..." email. Call your mom just to say hello. Show up at your friend's work place with a sonic drink! =) Think about someone else and just make them feel good. It will make you feel a little good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment